The simple reason why I adore French toast is because it evokes childhood memories whereby my mum would cook them during the weekends. Sinfully delicious, you can’t take your eyes off the glistening maple syrup on the bread!
It is also known as ‘pain perdu’ in French for lost or wasted bread and points towards stale bread. Why day-old bread is recommended is because it will soak up more of the egg mixture without falling apart. Nevertheless, fresh bread works just fine too. I’m sure you would also be familiar with the French toast served in Hong Kong western-style cafes or ‘cha cha tengs’. Those are usually made by deep frying them which makes them look oh-so-perfect.
Although I must admit that it is often perceived as oily, you should try this once in awhile as a breakfast treat! While it works well with white or whole-wheat bread, try to get thicker slices of bread which you can get from any bakery. The normal Gardenia sandwich loaf bread slices are quite thin and you will not be able to have optimum eggy satisfaction.
In fact, I bought mine from Free Mori, a newly-opened bakery in SS2 which serves up tempting pastries and lusciously decorated cakes for any sweet-tooth lover. I hear they have another branch at Publika in Solaris Dutamas. They call it a Milk Loaf and the ingredients state it is made of flour, milk, sugar, salt, milk powder, butter and yes, condensed milk. How’s that for a beautiful loaf of bread? They sold it for RM4.50 for 4 slices. I can’t help but say it definitely made the French toast an even more enjoyable experience!
2 slices of thickly sliced bread
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
2-3 tablespoons of butter
Maple syrup or honey
1. Crack your eggs in a bowl and mix them with the milk, cinnamon or vanilla extract.
2. Take each slice of bread and dip them well into the mixture, ensuring it is well soaked.
3. Melt the butter on a non-stick frying pan, your flame should be medium high heat.
4. Let it sizzle on the pan until golden brown for both sides of the bread, this should take less than a minute or brown them according to your liking.
5. Immediately dish it up and serve with decadent maple syrup or with even more glorious butter. For a more nutritious breakfast, add the sliced bananas too.